This is the second stacked coins quilt I have worked on.
I worked on putting this one together during the Zoom quilting session that Chookyblue from Australia organized on Saturday. The Zoom session started at 6 am on Sunday in Australia which is 1 pm on Saturday here in western Canada. I still marvel that a pandemic was responsible for bringing together quilters from all over the world to sew together in a real time setting. This is the second Zoom session that Chookyblue organized that I attended. I am quite enjoying sewing along with the group. The different time zones in the different countries make it a bit challenging, but the the quilting conversation brings us all together. Quilters have a unique way of connecting with each other.
This top just needs borders. Maybe I will get those attached during our regular Friday night guild Zoom sew-in.
Who knew a pandemic would open our eyes to the possibilities of technology?
At our guild’s January meeting every year we have our De-Stash. Members bring any quilting related or other craft items that they want to get rid of. The items are put out on tables and the members get to pick through them and take home anything that they want. Any unclaimed items at the end of the night are donated to a local thrift shop that benefits a Women’s shelter.
About three years ago during De-Stash, I picked up a large ziplock bag of pieced triangles and some 2.5 inch strips from a jelly roll. I pulled out the triangles and tried to piece them into hexagons. The piecing wasn’t the best by the original quilter so piecing together into hexagons was a frustrating exercise. I finally gave up on that idea and just started to randomly piece them together in an improv fashion. Once I had a large unit pieced together, I trimmed it square into a block. This is the resulting quilt top. The blue sashing strips were in my stash. The Moda fabric on the border was something I picked up at last year’s De-Stash night.
This quilt top was made from the 2.5 inch jelly roll strips that were in that ziplock bag. I pieced string blocks and then put them together with the beige tone on tone fabric from my stash to make string pieced half square triangle blocks. I played with the placement of the blocks until I got a layout that I liked given the number of blocks that I had.
The COVID-19 pandemic has prevented us from attending in-person guild sew-ins since March. For the last two Friday nights I have hosted Zoom sew-ins for members of our guild from 6 pm to 10 pm. These on-line sew-ins have been well attended which confirms that our membership is craving social interaction. These sew-ins have proved productive for me and have jump started my quilting again. I finished putting these two tops together to the flimsy stage during these sew-ins.
While doing my string quilt demo at our local quilt show, I was asked a number of questions by the public as they passed by. One woman in particular stopped and had a number of questions–my little featherweight – Charlotte – had caught her attention. After speaking to me for quite some time she told me that her husband worked for the local paper and he had told her to get some pictures of people looking at the quilts in the quilt show. She said she had so enjoyed our conversation that she made a decision to take my picture instead. And here you have it! This was a nice surprise to see it actually made the paper. This was a nice little bit of promotion for our guild’s show.
This is my latest finished flimsy. These blocks were pieced on a broadcloth (not 100% cotton) foundation. I piece blocks until I have enough for a project or two and then decide on the layout.
A fabric foundation makes the blocks heavier. In order to reduce the final weight of the quilt, I decided to add some unpieced fabric to the design. Once the blocks were pieced into squares, I placed a light grey Kona solid square on top of them and drew a diagonal line from one corner to the opposite corner across the block. Then I sewed 1/4″ from the drawn line on both sides of the line. By cutting on the line after stitching, I ended up with two string pieced half square triangles. (Say that a few times quickly!)
I played with layouts and after searching the internet for inspiration, I came up with this layout. The Quilted Twins blog is a great source of inspiration and free patterns. I ended up with a layout inspired by the quilt that Becky designed called, Stringles. I have inverted my “mountains” and I have not included the half triangle bits on the end of the rows or at the bottom of the quilt. I think my “mountains” look more like they are floating on the grey background.
Mountain Strings finishes as a flimsy at 59.5″ x 65″ which makes a nice lap size quilt.