Today I finished 5 more scrappy hexie blocks. I now have a total of 25 scrappy hexie blocks in green, yellow, red, and blue.
I am on a roll. Today I finished 8 scrappy hexie blocks. I don’t piece with a lot of yellow so when I saw a bag of yellow scraps/strings that someone had donated to the destash at our guild meeting, I snatched it up. Yellow is such a happy, cheerful colour. These blocks will definitely brighten up the finished quilt.
I am enjoying making these scrappy hexie blocks. Today I decided to dive into the red scraps and I managed to finish 5 red scrappy hexie blocks.
I fell in love with the quilt, Scrappy Hexies in the March / April 2015 issue of McCall’s Quilting magazine and it has been on my “To Do” list since then.
I started my blocks today and I finished my first 7 blocks from my blue scraps.
The pattern in the magazine suggests tracing the hexagon pattern pieces from the magazine pullout section onto template plastic. However, I recently used my discount coupon for Joann’s to purchase a large hexagon shaped ruler which has made trimming the blocks so much easier than using template plastic.
At our July guild meeting, one of our members brought a quilt to show and tell that she had made from strips. Her quilt was 9 blocks in a 3 by 3 setting. I think she said she made her blocks 18″ square.
I was so inspired from the meeting that I went home and the next day I dug out my bins of cut strips and started making my own version. My blocks are 17 inches square. I made them this size because that is the width of my cutting mat and it is so easy to use it to square up the block after piecing. I decided I wanted more of a rectangular quilt so I went with 12 blocks in a 3 by 4 setting. I need to decide on what colour to use for my sashing. I am thinking of a solid grey.
The inspiration for this quilt is a quilt called Woven by Kati Spence that is in a book called Scraps Inc.
I still have plenty of strips left so I am trying to come up with a way to piece the back so that I can use more of my stash of strips.
I realize this was a deviation from working on my UFO’s but I just had to give this one a try. After all, making these blocks allowed me to work on another one of my goals which is to use up my stash of fabric.