This morning, we woke up to a layer of freezing rain covering everything.
Although the ice coating on everything is pretty, it is definitely not safe to be driving or walking in this weather.
It was safe to stay inside and quilt though. 🙂
By 11:00 pm, I had finished making all the blocks for the Got Stripes quilt – with the exception of one. I was short a green background strip. I need to cut some green background pieces to finish the last block and to replace some pieces in a block that is already pieced into the quilt top. I made the mistake of reversing one piece of background fabric–front for back so I will need to do some reverse sewing.
I also finished the binding on my Fire Escape quilt. After finishing the binding, I spread the quilt out over the table to take a picture.
A picture without the flash shows the colours of the quilt to be a little closer to reality and shows the swirl quilting design a little better.
You just know you are in for one of those days when it starts with this:
The snow continued to fall here last night. The snow mixed with high winds (60 to 80 km/hr) resulted in white out conditions and a bit of a wild drive to work today.
Barbecue season and meals in the backyard seem so far away.
This truck is not going anywhere soon.
On the quilting front, progress is being made on piecing the blocks for Got Stripes and on attaching the binding to Fire Escape.
I am currently working on row 7 of 11 on Got Stripes. Rows 1 to 5 are completely joined together. Row 6 blocks are joined to one another but row 6 is not yet joined to rows 1 to 5. I have just started working on row 7 – only one star block assembled so far on that row.
The binding has been attached to Fire Escape. When I can steal a few moments, I work on hand stitching the binding to the back of the quilt.
The next project I worked on was something that could be considered a reward–something quick to finish that would bring instant satisfaction of accomplishment. I purchased a table runner kit on a blog hop in June 2006 that has been sitting safely in its plastic sleeve since that time. I decided today would be the day to work on that project. This was an old project, not really a UFO since it hadn’t been out of the plastic, that needed to be finished. This one is now finished to the flimsy stage. This runner finishes at approximately 50″ x 20″. I love how this one turned out!
When I took this one off the shelf to work on it, it took a bit to remember what fabrics I had decided to use where on the stars. Only some of the fabrics for the star blocks had actually been cut. Further confusing the situation was a navy blue batik fabric that I had also purchased at the time I bought these fabrics. At the time, I thought I might make the star points navy blue. I remember not being able to decide between the brown and the navy blue. I ended up buying both fabrics and decided today to go with the brown.
Sometimes you need a project that provides instant gratification on a finish to jump start the creative process. I also wanted to make use of my existing stash.
I have been saving a group of Debbie Mumm fabrics for years–at least 10 years–waiting for just the right pattern to come along.
Terry Atkinson’s pattern, Fire Escape was just the ticket to showcase my stack of Debbie Mumm aqua and red fabrics. This pattern uses only 5 – 1 yard cuts of fabric plus one contrasting fabric for the lap size (60″ x 72″) quilt.