I am busy working on another scrap quilt. I am calling this one, Yin and Yang after the Chinese symbol by the same name. I boldly entered this quilt in our upcoming guild’s quilt show on October 17 and 18 even though it isn’t finished yet.
I am on a roll. I am determined that all of the completed blocks that have been stacked on the shelves for years will be put together into quilt tops. After all, empty shelves allow room for new fabric purchases!
Over the years I have used different techniques to piece together crumb or string blocks. The blocks in this top are strings pieced together onto muslin foundations. The many seams and extra layer of muslin make this a very heavy quilt top.
I am not sure how this will be quilted yet because of the weight of the top. I am debating whether I will finish this one without batting or not.
Finished flimsy size: 54.5 ” x 63.5″
I have been using used Colour Catchers as string block foundations for some time now. Between other projects or when I am in a creative slump and I can’t come up with anything else to work on, I mindlessly piece strings to the Colour Catcher foundations.
I usually get stuck on the borders of a quilt. I was busy watching old re-runs of “I Love Lucy” on Friday night while I worked on the borders of this quilt. Before I knew it, I had a finished flimsy. A little laughter at the timeless comedy antics of Lucy and Desi made me forget how boring I find attaching bindings. This quilt will be a perfect utility quilt for the winter when we are looking for an extra quilt on the bed.
This top now measures 97″ x 104″.
This was yesterday’s finish. The dryer sheet string top is now a completed flimsy. This is another big one – 92″ wide x 104″ long. I have used up every last little scrap of the blue batik star fabric on the sashing and outer border. I was originally going to put a 6″ outer border on this one, but the remaining fabric after cutting sashing only allowed for a 4″ border. I have lots of the red fabric left so this one will likely be bound in red once it is quilted.
We are in for another bright sunny day and you can see the sun already shining through the top of this quilt top as it hangs from the clothes line.
Thursday night, I was making great progress on another UFO. I was busy adding the sashing strips to my dryer sheet diamond string blocks. I even got one full row of blocks sewn together and I was ready to put the last seam in the second row when it happened.
So now sadly, my DSM is in the hospital awaiting the technician’s attention. The needle remained intact in the accident, but the pin was split in two and was jammed into the machine knocking my machine out of time.
This is not my Heidi, but a machine very similar to her. (I pulled this picture off the Internet.)