String Half Log Cabin – Flimsy

Back in 2010, I was inspired by a blog post written by Kim Brackett.  Kim’s String Block Tutorial was easy to follow and I started making a pile of string blocks using her technique.  Kim never did post a picture of her finished quilt on her blog so I am not sure how she set her string blocks in her finished quilt.

I played around with various settings for my blocks and decided that I liked the blocks set on point best.  Today, I finally finished sewing my blocks together into a top.  My blocks finished at 9 ” square.  At this stage, my quilt top measures approximately 78.5″ x 79.5″.  I haven’t decided whether or not I will add a border to this quilt.  I like the look of the top without any further borders–the large chaos of colour seems to float on the quilt top.  However, I will likely regret not adding a border to stabilize the edges of this quilt when it comes time to quilt it.  I am sure that keeping the on point setting of the blocks with the bias edged setting triangles square while quilting will be a challenge I am sure.

It took me 4 1/2 years to get my blocks finished and set into a quilt top.  Let’s hope It doesn’t take me another 4 1/2 years to turn this quilt top into a finished quilt.  🙂

The next time I make this quilt, I think I will make the first square of this block the same size and from the same fabric.  I think this will help to “tame” some of the wildness of this quilt and give the eye a place to rest.

2015_January 29_String Half Log Cabin_Flimsy-Optimized


I recently purchased Fons and Porter’s Easy Diagonal Sets Ruler.  This ruler was a big help when it came time to cut the setting triangles.  The following link will take you to a video that demonstrates how to use the ruler:

I usually use the method of cutting setting triangles as described by Marti Michell in her book, Quilting for People Who Still Don’t Have Time to Quilt.  Marti says to:

Just cut a larger square on both diagonals to yield four setting triangles.  To determine the size of the larger square, measure the diagonal of the finished size unit block, and add 1 1/4 inches.  this is the size square to quarter for perfect-fit, no-mistakes-allowed setting triangles.  I prefer to add 1 1/2 inches to 2 1/2 inches to the diagonal measurement of the block.  That size square will yield slightly larger setting triangles which allow the design blocks to float inside the borders.

Using Marti’s method, I would have been cutting my squares 15 1/2″ square in order to get 4 setting triangles.  In order to cut enough squares this size for my setting triangles, I would have needed more black fabric than I had on hand.  However, using the ruler, I was able to cut my setting triangles from narrower strips of fabric and still have some fabric left over.

All About Me – Progress

This is the progress on the All About Me Halloween quilt so far.

The only place I could find to take a picture of this quilt was off my deck. Since it is evening, the sun is quite low in the sky and is responsible for casting a shadow from the tree over the top left hand corner of the quilt.

This piece now measures 88″ x 99″. The pattern does not call for a border, but I think I will end up adding a border anyway.

A Quilt for Me

This is another UFO that was completed in 2005. This is a quilt for my bed. After many years of making quilts for others, I have something for my own bed. This pattern is Half Log Cabin by Sharyn Squier Craig. This quilt was quilted on my long arm in the Baptist Fan pattern.

I started quilting in 1997 thanks to my good friend, Colette. This quilt was one of the first projects that I started. After spending approximately 7 years on the UFO pile it is now put to use!