Moving Unfinished Projects Forward

Today I stopped at the LQS and picked up some of Mary Ellen’s Best Press. I have been reading the reviews and I decided to give it a try.

Today I washed a load of green fabrics and I knew some of those fabrics would likely end up quite wrinkled. I was very impressed with this product in removing those wrinkles effortlessly. The bottle says, “Mary Ellen makes ironing (almost) fun!” and I would have to agree with that statement. I think I am going to have to buy stock in this company!
I also finished one of my UFOs to the flimsy stage today. This top was started on June 28, 2008 on a FABs Saturday Sew-In. This top finished at 52″ x 59 1/2″ and will be perfect for a baby girl/toddler. The pattern is an original design by Cher, one of the FABs. We have been affectionately calling this quilt pattern, CGF or Cher’s Gym Floor. Bet you can’t guess where Cher got the inspiration for this design! LOL

FABs Saturday Sew-In

This morning was the FABs Saturday Sew-In. This Saturday’s project was both designed and organized by Cher with a little help from LindaJ. (Linda worked out the drafting of the pattern in EQ.) The pattern was affectionately named, CGF. I’ll leave you guessing what that stands for! LOL

The pattern was drafted first with a feature fabric square of 12 1/2″ (cut size). The alternate block was actually a rectangle that was made up of one 8 1/2″ square and two 4 1/2″ squares.

Last night LindaJ came up with an amended version–8 1/2″ square, one rectangle 5 1/2″ x 6″ and two squares cut 3″ square.

I decided to make my version of the pattern, “half size”. (That is half the size of the original pattern.) I had a bin of pre-cut 6 1/2″ squares already cut and another bin of 2 1/2″ squares. I had a few leftover partial 4 1/2″ strips that I cut into 4 1/2″ squares and I cut a few of my 5 1/2″ squares down to 4 1/2″ squares.

This was 6 of the first blocks arranged on the floor to see how this patten might look scrappy.
All the squares are now finished but not yet sewn together.

My quilt center finished at 30 1/2″ x 42 1/2″. Because I think my quilt is a little wild, I am going to add a border or two to rein in the colour a bit and tame things down. I have not yet added the border as I was debating on the colour. However, this bright green has won the most votes from the FABs so far.