I couldn’t stand it. Yesterday I thought I had my Sunbonnet Sue Redwork quilt finished to the flimsy stage, but the red border that I had on it just wasn’t working for me. So after staring at this quilt top on the design wall for the morning, I decided to just remove that red border. I think that red fabric was a little too heavy and overpowering for the blocks. Here it is, in its revised finished flimsy stage – now measuring 44 in x 57 in. I will go ahead and add this one to the “to be quilted” pile.
This is Labour Day weekend here in Canada so that means a three day weekend! What better way to spend it than sewing?
I have been trying to catch up on some of the UFO’s that have been languishing on the shelves of my studio. First up, I added borders to my Hawksbill Honu Sashiko piece. The turtle is a Sylvia Pippen Design. In April 2013, our quilt guild brought Val Wojutla to our monthly meeting for a trunk show of her work. The following day, Val stayed to teach a Sashiko class to our membership.
Unfortunately, that class was on a weekday during the busiest month of the year at work for me so I was unable to take the class. I bought the Honu piece as a kit at one of the vendor booths at a subsequent quilt show. I also purchased the pattern for the snowflake that Val taught during her workshop. I haven’t started stitching that snowflake yet.
The fabrics on the borders of my Honu piece were not part of the kit. The blue outer border print is a Kaffee Fassett fabric.
The second flimsy that I finished today was my Redwork Sunbonnet Sue. I am not so sure I am totally sold on the outer border. Next time, I may just forego the borders altogether. However, the borders have brought it up to 56″ x 69″ which would be a nice size for some little girl’s bed.
The pattern is by Mary Ellen Von Holt of Little Quilts. The original pattern makes a quilt that finishes 22″ x 28″. I don’t do “that small” so I enlarged the designs so that they fit nicely within a 9″ finished square.
Unfortunately, I did not record when I started stitching these blocks. I received the patterns for the blocks in November 2010. I don’t remember if I started stitching on the blocks right away, but it would have been soon after that time. I stitched my blocks using DMC pearl cotton number 8, colour 498. (I just realized that DMC pearl cotton has dye lot numbers. I have two skeins of colour 498 and they are DEFINITELY not the same red!) My mother started a similar set of blocks in January 2014 using many different colours of floss. It will be interesting to see how her blocks turn out.
So that makes two more flimsies for the “to be quilted” pile.