At our July guild meeting, one of our members brought a quilt to show and tell that she had made from strips. Her quilt was 9 blocks in a 3 by 3 setting. I think she said she made her blocks 18″ square.
I was so inspired from the meeting that I went home and the next day I dug out my bins of cut strips and started making my own version. My blocks are 17 inches square. I made them this size because that is the width of my cutting mat and it is so easy to use it to square up the block after piecing. I decided I wanted more of a rectangular quilt so I went with 12 blocks in a 3 by 4 setting. I need to decide on what colour to use for my sashing. I am thinking of a solid grey.
The inspiration for this quilt is a quilt called Woven by Kati Spence that is in a book called Scraps Inc.
I still have plenty of strips left so I am trying to come up with a way to piece the back so that I can use more of my stash of strips.
I realize this was a deviation from working on my UFO’s but I just had to give this one a try. After all, making these blocks allowed me to work on another one of my goals which is to use up my stash of fabric.
Our quilt guild’s bi-annual show was this past Friday night and Saturday (October 17 and 18, 2014). I was once again on the committee that hung the quilts. We were very organized this year and had the quilts hung in record time.
I was also doing demos again this year. Unlike some other quilt shows, our guild does not just do demos at specific times during the show. Our demos are on-going through the whole show. This means that the people that are doing the demos are doing lots and lots of talking. :) There were four of us doing demos this year. We had the most perfect spot with perfect lighting against this bank of windows.
This was my home for a day and a half while I demonstrated how to make string/crumb blocks using a stabilizer. I use used color catchers as my foundation, but any other stabilizer product such as muslin or paper could be used. If you use paper, you will have to remove the paper before quilting your quilt. This is one reason why I use the color catchers–there is nothing to remove; the color catcher is not removed and stays in the quilt. Granted the quilt is a bit heavier because of the additional layer.
The woman doing demos beside me was demonstrating another technique for using up scraps–making those fabric wrapped bowls that are so popular now. We were very complimentary to one another with our demos as we were both showing how to use up scraps that some people put would put in the trash.
The quilts that I entered in this year’s show were:
And lastly, my entry into the challenge for this year’s show; Roses are Red, Violets are Blue.
I was very tired by the time I got home after quilt show take down last night. …but ask me in two years if I am ready to do this again and my response will be a definite, Yes!!!
I am busy working on another scrap quilt. I am calling this one, Yin and Yang after the Chinese symbol by the same name. I boldly entered this quilt in our upcoming guild’s quilt show on October 17 and 18 even though it isn’t finished yet.
This quilt will be 8 blocks wide by 13 blocks long. So far, I have 8 columns put together so technically I am more than half way done. :)
The table runner that I started on January 2, 2012 is finally finished. Sometimes it is not just the larger and more complex projects that sit as UFO’s for a very long time.
Here I am at our Guild meting last night showing my completed table runner.
We have a UFO Completion Contest at our Quilt Guild this year. Although I took this completed table runner for show and tell last night, it doesn’t count towards the UFO Completion Contest as your UFO has to be from before 2012. Because I started this project on January 2, 2012, I am just outside the time period for the contest.
I did show another project at Guild this month that does qualify for the UFO Completion Contest though. I finally took “Plum Dotty” for show and tell at the Guild. Plum Dotty was finished to the partial flimsy stage on July 5, 2011. I say partial flimsy stage because after I had this one together, I put it on the bed and decided that it needed some more blocks to make it wider. Adding just a few more blocks to make it wider proved to be a challenge because I had run out of the black and white and white and black dot fabrics. After getting some help from a friend in Oregon who helped source out more fabric for me, I was able to add the extra blocks. The quilt top then sat for a long time until I had time to quilt and bind it. I finished Plum Dotty on September 12, 2013, just in time to show at the Fall Fair in our town on September 13 and 14, 2013.
Here is Plum Dotty on the bed. This is a perfect quilt for winter – not only does it brighten the room at an often dreary time of year, but it is heavy with the extra foundation for the blocks and the flannel back.
Here I am at our Guild meeting last night talking about Plum Dotty during Show and Share.
I wish I could say that finishing these two projects has caught me up to date with my UFO’s, but sadly it barely scratches the surface.
I have been busy playing with my bin of strips, strings, and bits again. I love making blocks from that jumble of fabric. This time, I have been making half log cabin blocks. These blocks are rather mindless and low stress. There is no matching of intersections or points, just fun sewing! Once I had a few blocks made, I tried out some layouts on the “design floor”.
This layout was inspired by, “Mumbo Gumbo”.
Linda thought this layout looked a little dimensional–like blocks that are overlapping one another.
This is my favorite layout–on point in a chevron design.
The funny thing about that bin of strips, strings, and leftovers–no matter how many blocks I make, the pile does not seem to go down at all! I swear these things multiply when you aren’t looking!