Stitchery, Redwork, and Baby Quilt

It has been a busy few weeks. I do have something to show for my efforts though.

This is a Nancy Halvorsen design from her book, Calendar Quilts & Stitcheries. The stitcheries are originally quite small and have been re-sized to fit an 8.5 x 11 inch sheet of paper. This was the block for March. I started working on this block at the beginning of March but I finished it off this weekend. It still needs the ties added to the kite string but I will put those on after this piece is quilted. At the rate I am working on these, I will not keep up to completing one each month.

I have a co-worker that is expecting in the month of June. This quilt top was finished to the flimsy stage last weekend. The pattern is Naptime from an old issue of Quiltmaker that was published back in 1999.

I wanted some jungle animal fabric for the back as the yellow fabric that I used on the front is an animal skin print and there are paw prints on the red that I used. Today, my daughter and I found this cute jungle flannel print at our local fabric outlet.

Saturday, Linda and I worked at getting our Alex Anderson heart stitchery blocks set into quilt tops. This was a day that we had set aside some time ago to work on this project. Both Linda and I seem to make good progress on these “focused” days. I had supper cooking in the crock pot so I was able to devote the entire day to quilting–finishing by 11:30 at night.
Linda and I wanted something different than the setting that Alex showed on her website for these blocks–a rail fence sashing with nine patch cornerstones. Linda drafted a number of choices of settings and this was my favorite.

This is the red fabric that I used in my alternate blocks. From a distance it reads as a solid, but it does have a subtle heart pattern to it. The border fabric was shown in a previous post on March 28. The idea is to get this top quilted before Valentine’s Day next February.

Redwork Hearts

The stitchery bug has bitten again. I am really enjoying working on Alex Anderson’s red work hearts. There are 12 hearts in all.

I have finished 4 hearts to date by just putting in a few stitches here and there.

The designs are originally for a 6.5″ block. I thought that size seemed a little small so I enlarged the designs to fit an 8.5″ block.
I have plans to put these together into a wall hanging in time for Valentine’s Day 2011.
In the meantime, it is fun to work on a Valentine themed project in the month of February.
…only 8 more hearts to go!