String Blocks

I am determined this year to make a significant reduction in my stash of strings and strips.  I have been piecing string blocks and stacking them on the shelf until I have enough to make a quilt.  I have used various materials for foundations – most recently used dryer sheets. Before using the dryer sheets as a foundation they need to be pressed with a cool iron.  You start with a pile that looks like this:


Used dryer sheets

Used dryer sheets

And you end up with blocks like these after trimming to 6″ square.

String blocks pieced onto used dryer sheets

String blocks pieced onto used dryer sheets

I have 121 – 6″ trimmed blocks on the shelf right now.

Stack of trimmed string blocks

Stack of trimmed string blocks

I need to decide which quilt layout I am going to use these blocks in so I know if I am close to having enough blocks for a quilt top.  I am always on the lookout for ideas to use string blocks so I don’t have to continue to repeat the same design over and over.

I have also been piecing larger blocks (8″ square) onto fabric foundations.  I was gifted some broadcloth from my MIL’s stash.  The fabric is more lightweight than I like to use in my regular quilt blocks but it makes a great foundation for string blocks.  These are a few of the string blocks.  There area a total of 95 – 8″ blocks in this stack on the shelf.

8" string blocks pieced on broadcloth foundations

8″ string blocks pieced on broadcloth foundations

String blocks pieced on a fabric foundation make for a heavier quilt top than string blocks pieced on a dryer sheet foundation.

Despite all the string blocks I have been making, I don’t seem to have a significant reduction in the string / strip stash.  I think I will be making string blocks for some time to come!


Scrappy Hexies

I fell in love with the quilt,  Scrappy Hexies in the March / April 2015 issue of McCall’s Quilting magazine and it has been on my “To Do” list since then.

March / April 2015 cover of McCall's Quilting magazine

March / April 2015 cover of McCall’s Quilting magazine

The quilt is a design by Bea Lee from .

Bea Lee's Scrappy Hexies quilt

Bea Lee’s Scrappy Hexies quilt

I started my blocks today and I finished my first 7 blocks from my blue scraps.

My first 7 Scrappy Hexie blocks

My first 7 Scrappy Hexie blocks

The pattern in the magazine suggests tracing the hexagon pattern pieces from the magazine pullout section onto template plastic.  However, I recently used my discount coupon for Joann’s to purchase a large hexagon shaped ruler which has made trimming the blocks so much easier than using template plastic.


Name Tag Challenge

My first finish for 2018 was a new name tag for guild meetings.  Our guild’s January challenge was to make a new name tag.  I was so pleased tonight to have my name tag finished and ready to go.  However, I was not able to head out to the guild meeting tonight because of a severe winter storm.

I used a background of linen on which I embroidered my name.  I used some colourful selvages to add some interest and bound it with my favorite colour – lime green.

New name tag for January guild challenge

New name tag for January guild challenge

Hopefully the weather cooperates for the February meeting!


2017_July 23_Woven blocks_17 inches square

At our July guild meeting, one of our members brought a quilt to show and tell that she had made from strips.  Her quilt was 9 blocks in a 3 by 3 setting.  I think she said she made her blocks 18″ square.

I was so inspired from the meeting that I went home and the next day I dug out my bins of cut strips and started making my own version.  My blocks are 17 inches square.  I made them this size because that is the width of my cutting mat and it is so easy to use it to square up the block after piecing.  I decided I wanted more of a rectangular quilt so I went with 12 blocks in a 3 by 4 setting.  I need to decide on what colour to use for my sashing.  I am thinking of a solid grey.

The inspiration for this quilt is a quilt called Woven by Kati Spence that is in a book called Scraps Inc.

I still have plenty of strips left so I am trying to come up with a way to piece the back so that I can use more of my stash of strips.

I realize this was a deviation from working on my UFO’s but I just had to give this one a try.  After all, making these blocks allowed me to work on another one of my goals which is to use up my stash of fabric.